FRAMINGHAM, Mass., November 4, 2002 – Vertical markets continue to deploy mobile solutions in order to increase worker productivity. Although mobility has been embraced in vertical markets, a standard operating system (OS) has not. According to a recent vertical market survey of nearly 1,000 members of IDC’s Mobile Advisory Council*, the Palm OS remains entrenched in healthcare, education, and government segments while Windows CE/Pocket PC is the preferred platform for mobility solutions within field sales/service and utilities segments.
Mobile solution vendors may continue to broaden exposure of both platforms by partnering with device, software, and service vendors. Mobilizing customer relationship management (CRM) applications, improving workflow, and increasing mobile worker productivity
will all be major drivers in many vertical markets next year. The larger task of mobilizing other enterprise applications has been put on the back burner while businesses focus on initiatives that can quickly drive the bottom line.
“Vertical markets tend to be earlier adopters of mobile technology and mobility solutions because they tend to take advantage of functions that are offered,” says Randy Giusto, IDC Vice President, Personal Technology and Services. “These markets are
a major force in driving the extension of CRM applications to mobile environments, as well as the adoption of wireless networks.”
– Professional services and manufacturing segments are key implementers of mobile technologies and solutions
– Enterprises want to ensure that mobile applications enable employee access to existing office applications such as e-mail and word processing
– The extension of CRM applications to mobile workers represents a significant opportunity among vertical markets including insurance, banking, and telecommunications
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Better and Easier Wifi Management with Linksys Cloud Manager - September 20, 2018
- How A Beauty Company Keeps Its Tech Edge – CTO Interview. Outsource and Get Expert Help. - September 18, 2018
- 7 Steps to Creating Your Own Startup - September 13, 2018