From time to time it is important to make sure our computers are optimized to run their best with as few crashes and other problems at possible. Not to mention data loss and other security hazards. You take care of your body (I hope) you also need to take care of your computer.
Symantec offers the following tips:
– General Housekeeping: Remove old programs and temporary files. Also remove Internet browser’s cache, cookies, history, email contacts and messages, documents, the recycle or trash folder and non-transferable software
– Monthly Checkup: Like regular maintenance for your car. Scan the hard drive for errors and fix any corrupt sectors, defragment the hard drive and remove invalid registry entries and broken shortcuts
– Manage Windows settings: Choose settings that could help make your computer run faster, such as shortcuts and a start-up menu.
– Hardware Diagnostics: Perform regular checks on your hardware to make sure your drivers are up-to-date, which can help your hardware run better.
– Undo mistakes: Use software that allows you to bring computers back to a point in time when it was running like new. Especially useful if employees have wreaked havoc on their computers.
– Full Virus Scan: Before providing new employees with an old computer, scan it for viruses and update virus definitions.
– System backup: Back-up regularly to ensure important data is accessible in the event of a computer disaster. That way, if the computer dies and you need a new one, you can restore the image from the old computer.
– Performance Test: Test employees old computers against other computers on your small business network to see if it’s up to par with other computers on your network. Determine whether to add hardware or invest in a new system in order to improve performance.
– Defragment the Hard Disk: A hard drive is composed of many sections, known as sectors. Frequently, as files are written to the hard drive, they are divided into parts that are scattered across a hard drive, which slows down the system because the file must be retrieved from these different locations.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- GoDaddy Exec Says It’s Not Too Late For Businesses To Capture Last Minute Holiday Revenue - December 17, 2018
- Beyond the Grave – How To Protect Your Business - December 17, 2018
- Wix Launches Simple Marketing Automation for Growing Businesses – Wix Ascend - December 11, 2018