Very large businesses have teams of IT staff in place, reams of consultants and boatloads of software tools to manage their IT infrastructure. Smaller businesses that are large enough to have their own IT staff or that outsource their IT functions can’t match these resources although their need for IT management is the same.
Addressing this need IBM has released a new software suite for smaller businesses to help automate the management of PCs, servers, storage and security technology across their entire infrastructures.
Another company, Netuitive has a similar offering as well.
IBM’s new Tivoli Express software enables mid-sized companies, such as online retailers, hospitals and local banks, to manage their information technology (IT) with the same integrated capabilities that larger companies rely on — but with software that is more affordable and easier to deploy.
For example, a school district or community hospital that may not have IT experts on hand could now rely on automated management capabilities to correct service problems such as failed email systems, server outages or employees accessing confidential information. Also, a local bank could use this software to monitor its applications, servers and authorized users, ensuring continuous uptime for tellers processing loan applications for customers.
IBM Tivoli new Express software includes:
– IBM Tivoli Identity Manager Express — This helps small businesses thwart insider attacks by removing accounts and privileges when employees leave a company, blocking others from misusing accounts that a company has neglected to cancel. It also simplifies compliance efforts by cutting down the time it takes to compile information and prepare reports from days to minutes. The software enables new employees or contractors to request and receive a new user account in minutes — a process that often takes up to 12 days, especially for technically-challenged smaller businesses. IBM Tivoli Identity Manager Express will be available on February 28, 2006.
– IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Express — Data loss risks such as viruses, file corruption and hardware failure can hit smaller businesses the hardest. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Express gives smaller businesses an inexpensive backup and recovery solution that is easy to install and use. It allows them to ensure availability of important business information, such as a clothing retailer’s entire inventory tracking information housed in an Excel spreadsheet. With a few simple installation steps, the software can start performing automated backups in less than one hour. For additional data protection, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Express can be coupled with IBM Tivoli Continuous Data Protection for Files to provide ongoing, automatic back up of important data on desktop PCs and laptops. IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Express will be available on March 17, 2006.
– IBM Tivoli Provisioning Manager Express — This affordable inventory management and software distribution software collects, stores and maintains hardware, software and asset information. It can automatically distribute software applications and patches to help keep PCs up-to-date and secure, reducing end-user downtime and minimizing the need for costly help desk support. IBM Tivoli Provisioning Manager Express will be available on March 31, 2006.
– IBM Tivoli Monitoring Express — This software brings IBM’s self-managing autonomic capabilities to mid-sized businesses. It allows smaller companies to manage online applications, such as email or bill paying systems, by automatically “healing itself” and correcting IT service problems such as “hung” applications across a company’s servers, operating systems and databases. It can also detect the need for specific procedures — such as bringing on additional servers when capacity overload approaches. Installation and deployment are simple and can be completed in two hours. IBM Tivoli Monitoring Express will be available on April 7, 2006.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- 3 Reasons Invoicing Apps Are Essential For Fledgling Businesses - November 28, 2016
- Don’t Let Technology Create Blinders On Your Perspective. Every Leader’s Nightmare. - November 27, 2016
- Video Humanizes Your Brand: 3 Tips To Use It For Your Business. - November 4, 2016