Having 2 documents on a computer or your web site makes searching for one of the two documents pretty easy. But when you have 1,000, 5,000, 20,000 and etc documents searching for one document or set of words in one document is VERY hard to do without a good search engine.
Google has succeeded at being the leader in search not because it can throw up a bunch of links to web sites based on a keyword, but because of the QUALITY and relevance of its search. Of course now the margin of “quality” has narrowed and I would guess that Microsoft, Yahoo and other search engines have evolved their search technology as well.
However, Google has a search technology that remains, from what I’ve heard and seen above the others in many ways.
Applying its knowledge of public search Google launched a search appliance for enterprises and smaller businesses, called Google Search Mini, which is priced right for smaller businesses and has been newly updated.
With a starting price of $2,000 the Google leaves no small business that needs a search technology with an excuse for not having a GREAT search system for a public web site or private intranet or file server.
The Mini now comes in multiple versions. The most affordable Mini searches up to 50,000 documents for $1,995 ¬? including all hardware, software and a year of support. Additional versions search up to 100,000, 200,000 or 300,000 documents. Since upgrading’s easy, the Mini’s an ideal solution for growing organizations.
New features include:
Access to more, fresher content
* Search across multiple web sites with the ability to create an almost unlimited number of document collections and user interfaces
* Create an instant intranet by directly indexing shared file systems
* Choose between automated continuous crawling to maximize freshness and minimize network traffic, or crawl the entire site on a set schedule
* Faster crawling and query serving, with support for up to 25 queries per second (a 25X increase) for growing websites
* Improved administrator dashboard and SNMP monitoring for remote management
* Easier search query and crawl diagnostics reporting to understand what users are looking for and discover site errors.
Email this article to someone
The following two tabs change content below.