Second Life is a virtual world where virtual people spend money, buy things, have houses, party and do just about everything they do in the real world.
My warning to you is to not get caught up in the hype. Enjoy Second Life for pleasure, but not for your business.
Large businesses have the time, money and overall resources to establish a presence in Second Life. They do it for several reasons:
1) for bragging rights to be able to say they did it
2) to be the first person on Second Life and learn about this world before others do it (to be ahead of the game)
3) media attention
What does this mean to you?
If you don’t have the massive resources of larger business you SHOULD concentrate on blogging, RSS, podcasting, social media and any other Web 2.0 technology that will really help your business grow.
You should NOT focus on having a presence in Second Life.
I’m telling you this because I don’t want you to read much of the media hype surrounding Second Life and think that it’s the next best thing since sliced bread.
Second Life’s community of almost 4 million residents is very impressive. Keep in mind that probably half of these users are not active. In fact a little over 1/4 of these users have logged in, in the past 60 days.
4 million or 1 million “people” is a lot of eyeballs, but think hard – is investing time and money in Second Life a good way to use your limited resources.
I think not.
What spurred my comments is something I read in Integrated Marketing – To help workers gain some of that time back, depo consulting, an Internet consultancy firm based in the United Kingdom has set up virtual offices on Second Life, a 3-D virtual world.
depo consulting, apparently can afford to do this, or did it for media attention and that’s fine. But YOUR business should be careful about investing in Second Life.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Ooma Announces DP1 Wireless Deskphone with Call Conferencing and 2-Line Controls for Small Businesses - August 18, 2018
- 5 Tips for Instagram Advertising for Small Businesses - August 17, 2018
- Are Business Plans Necessary to Start a Business? - August 16, 2018