I’ve written about cash registers vs point of sale a few times over the past few years and the premise is very simple. While cash registers are pretty much like “large calculators”, those businesses wanting to grow their businesses and gain boosts in productivity should use Point of Sale (POS) solutions.
POS systems let you not just conduct a financial transaction and give proper change back to the customer, but help you manage the customer relationships, give discounts to special customers right on the spot, instantly know the status of inventory and many other benefits.
HP recently updated its line of POS hardware solutions to the rp3000. (More on this new system available here Sep 30) This Point of Sale solution which works with Microsoft Point of Sale or QuickBooks Point of Sale is specifically design for the harsh conditions of a retail store – be it a restaurant, grocery store or clothing retailer.
HP’s four reasons for considering a POS solution include:
- Increased savings – you’ll see reduced shrinkage because it allows you to keep detailed tracking of inventory, resulting in reduced theft, waste, and misuse. Also, prices won’t be entered incorrectly because they are automatically calculated by the system.
- Better workflow – checkout is faster, meaning fewer employees handle more customers.
- Streamlined management tasks – automated reporting and tracking allows management to focus their attention on building the business. The inventory management and reporting tools allow managers to speed up inventory reviews, spot sales trends, and get a better idea of when to reorder products or supplies.
- Increased revenue – reduced paperwork and less time spent managing inventory means more is accomplished with less work. The solution can also help manage trends, track customers, and focus your sales efforts on higher-margin items.
More about the rp3000
Only two power outlets are needed per system, including power for the monitor and all peripherals, with powered serial and USB ports standard to eliminate cable clutter. Color-coded input/output ports simplify set up and present a clean back panel to customers.
The retail-hardened rp3000 features the low-power and low-heat Intel Atom processor and a durable steel chassis to stand up to the wear and tear of a merchant’s day-to-day business activity. An energy-efficient, oversized cooling system helps enable a longer life cycle and more continuous performance in busy retail environments, with the unit capable of operating in an ambient 40?C environment (versus an average ambient 35?C environment for business PCs), eliminating the need for additional external cooling in extended-use scenarios.
HP’s new portfolio of retail peripherals includes a keyboard with integrated credit card reader, a free-standing credit card reader that can be attached to select HP flat panel monitors or touch screens and customer display pole. HP also introduced three new retail printers, including a single-station, two-color and monochrome thermal printer and two hybrid thermal printers that can print two-color or monochrome receipts and offer impact slip printing for inserted forms and checks. One model also provides digital imaging functionality.
A rugged, 15-inch diagonal, flat-panel touch screen monitor and heavy-duty cash drawer also are available, along with a durable, lightweight handheld scanner with a hands-free IntelliStand. The system and its optional peripherals are neatly and safely contained on the rp3000 Integration Tray.
All POS solutions from HP are backed by HP Total Care service and support, including standard three-year warranty covering parts, labor and onsite support. HP’s industry relationships with key retail integrated software vendors and extensive reseller channel also ensure integration of services, support and retail expertise across virtually every industry and local market.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Wix Launches Simple Marketing Automation for Growing Businesses – Wix Ascend - December 11, 2018
- You’ve Been Fired. How To Start Your Own Business - December 3, 2018
- Make Better Presentation Slides With This New Tool. Ramon Reviews Beautiful.ai - November 27, 2018