With the constant talk of the economy, it’s not surprising that more than half of IT decision makers named market conditions as the greatest challenge facing their companies in 2009, according to the CDW IT Monitor trend survey regarding 2009 IT forecasting.
When asked about their biggest priority for the coming year, 41 percent cited cost management as most important. Priorities that involve spending – like growing market share and employee recruitment – were down from 2008.
“Given recent economic challenges, cost management surpassed everything—even growing market share—as the biggest priority for the coming year,” said CDW Vice President Mark Gambill, the company’s executive responsible for market insights. “Many times, organizational objectives are set well in advance, and after navigating through the volatile market conditions that have become the defining characteristic of 2008, IT decision makers are preparing for 2009 by planning for the one element they can control—cost.”
However, one surprising result from the survey is that 32 percent of IT decision makers cited investment in new products and technologies as their top priority for 2009—an increase of five percentage points from 2008.
Other findings include:
- Sixty-three percent of IT decision makers at U.S. small businesses believe 2009 company performance will be better than 2008.
- Fifty-two percent of small businesses believe that 2008 company performance was the same or worse than 2007.
- Fifty-eight percent believe the weak economic performance was the biggest obstacle to growth in 2008.
- Thirty-six percent of IT decision makers at small businesses report that growing their market share is a top priority for 2009 (down four percentage points from 2008)
- Only eight percent cite employee recruitment and retention (down six percentage points from 2008).
More information about the survey and attitudes of IT decision makers on 2008 and 2009 can be found at www.cdwitmonitor.com.
Laura Leites, Assistant Editor, Smallbiztechnology.com
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Advice from the 2017 SXSW Dell Experience: How to Pitch a Complex Business - March 30, 2017
- The Experience: Dell Showcases the Power of Technology at SXSW 2017 - March 28, 2017
- Accounting Gets Artificial Intelligence: Xero’s New Service - March 16, 2017