I’ve always been a proponent of leaving the computer on, as long as there are power saving features, like sleep mode for desktop and notebook computer. However, as I go through the streets of Manhattan I often see business, especially the large businesses on street level, leaving their computers on. Why? It waste so much energy – especially the more computers you have.
USA Today writes About half of 108 million office PCs in the USA are not properly shut down at night, says the 2009 PC Energy Report, produced by 1E, an energy-management software company, and the non-profit Alliance to Save Energy. The report analyzed workplace PC power consumption in the USA, United Kingdom and Germany.
There are two main benefits to leaving your computer on, all the time:
1. If you or your IT consultant needs to access it remotely, leaving it on is best. Some advanced computers can be started and diagnosed even when off, if things are set up correctly.
2. It saves some time, as turning on the computer, waiting for Windows and having the 15 programs that load when you start your computers finish cranking up can take 2 – 3 minutes or more.
It’s best to ensure that all your staff turn their monitors off at night and just in case ensure they all have a sleep mode. Also ensure that your desktops have power saving features to ensure that all computers can use as little energy as possible when not being used.
You’ll find your energy goes down – even if just a little and you’ll be doing your part to contribute to the environments good stewardship.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Wix Launches Simple Marketing Automation for Growing Businesses – Wix Ascend - December 11, 2018
- You’ve Been Fired. How To Start Your Own Business - December 3, 2018
- Make Better Presentation Slides With This New Tool. Ramon Reviews Beautiful.ai - November 27, 2018