Small businesses are always looking for ways to save money, and make sure the money they do invest in the business is being spent wisely.
We’ve been sharing a weekly series of money-saving IT tips from CDW. We continue here with the third set of tips:
- Buy desktop computers for office-based employees; they can deliver more power and value for your IT dollar.
- Save money purchasing three desktop computers for what it might cost you to buy two notebook computers.
- When purchasing PCs, sacrificing some CPU speed while adding extra RAM can increase the value of your IT purchase.
- Buy notebook PCs for mobile and non-desk-oriented employees to garner the added productivity of working from anywhere.
- When applicable, consider smartphones and Portable Digital Assistants (PDAs) for staff who may not need a notebook PC.
- Replace CRT monitors with LCD monitors that use a lot less power (as much as 60 percent) and generate less heat, thereby cutting electricity and cooling costs.
- Buy the largest LCD monitor that makes sense as more screen space often translates into increased productivity.
- Multitask using dual monitors on the desktop to save time closing and reopening applications or switching between windows.
- Set power-management and screensavers so that computers and monitors power down when not used for a designated period of time.
- Take advantage of money-saving software volume licensing programs often available for as few as five desktop PCs.
- Implement time-saving software license tracking and management, often available at no charge from your software vendor.
- When possible, switch from software licensing covering “total-users” to “number-of-active-users” in order to save on fees.
- Consider open-source software as your server and even desktop operating system as a way to possibly cut costs.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- How the Recent Facebook Algorithm Change May Affect Your Business - April 6, 2018
- How AI is Transforming Small Businesses and a Look at Zoho AI - April 5, 2018
- 8 Reasons to Use a Business VPN for Your Online Business - March 26, 2018