For many professionals, work is a place to go. However for a growing number of professionals work is really what you DO. Not where you are or where you go. When I think of my backpack – it has just about everything I need to be “at work” – wherever I am. It includes:
- Dell Latitude E4600 (with built in video camera)
- Verizon Wireless Broadband
- Flip Video Camera
and a few other things.
Citrix Online, makers of Gotomypc, Gotomeeting and other tools, according to their press release, offers a unique snapshot of the evolving trend to the location independent workplace.
Their report, “Worldwide Workplace: The Web Commuting Imperative,” presents a multi-dimensional snapshot of how this trend is projected to change the ways in which people live and work, and how online access and collaboration technologies enable full performance without the constraints of location. The findings illustrate the paradox between what businesses and workers perceive to be important to success and the realities of the workplace.
Check out the Citrix Online blog Work Shifting for a LOT of information on the independent professional. In particular check out the download link on the blog web site.
Findings from the report include:
- Nearly 75% of all workers want the freedom to work remotely from home or somewhere else away from the office, yet most workers don’t have the option. This desire is so strong that 1 in 5 workers are willing to relinquish 5% of their salary to work offsite 1-2 days a week.
- Flexible hours are deemed most essential to having a successful business in the future, and rated higher by a significant margin than health insurance benefits. Small business owners are more than 4 times as likely as others to be able to work remotely “all the time.” But more than 25% still believe job duties demand that employees be in the office.
- While many bosses still don’t like the idea of employees working offsite, approximately one third of bosses in the U.S. are receptive to having employees participate virtually by phoning in to meetings.
- Freedom from rigid office hours by having more control over schedules is what employers and employees like most about Web commuting?even more than saving time and money on transportation.
- Female entrepreneurs are 50% more likely to allow Web commuting from home compared to their male counterparts?perhaps themselves recognizing the need for work/life equilibrium.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Salesforce Upgrade Its Customer Service Platform. Faster Setup Time. - July 27, 2017
- Why Wix Code Is a Game Changer for Businesses - July 25, 2017
- How Adobe Scan and These 7 Tips Can Make You More Productive - July 25, 2017