Paypal recently conducted a survey which found that there are 9 top reasons why your customers are not buying more from you online:
- High shipping charges: 46 percent
- Wanted to comparison shop: 37 percent
- Lack of money: 36 percent
- Wanted to look for a coupon: 27 percent
- Wanted to shop offline: 26 percent
- Couldn’t find preferred pay option: 24 percent
- Item was unavailable at checkout: 23 percent
- Couldn’t find customer support: 22 percent
- Concerned about security of credit card data: 21 percent
Some of these things you cannot do anything about, like them having no money, but just window shopping. However, for some of the things, providing more information to your customers could be the key which boosts their online spending.
“Merchants who don’t welcome back abandoners with open arms are leaving hundreds of dollars per shopper on the table,” said Eddie Davis, senior director of SMB merchant services. “Merchants need to remember the items that customers abandon and make it easy for them to buy when they return. Sweetening the deal with free shipping, coupons and special discounts is also a great way to encourage online shoppers to complete their purchases.”
Here’s a few things you can do to help:
1. Have better navigation on your web site, to make it much easier for customers to find what they need.
2. Make it easy for customers to find out how similar (or all products) compare with each other.
3. Don’t hide shipping costs, but give customers an idea of how much shipping costs will be – right up front.
4. Provide multiple payment options (credit card, Paypal, Billmelater)
Some resources for you to consider include: Clickz, WilsonWeb and also my 10 Web Site Musts
Hear more from Eddie Davis in this interview:
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- The Experience: Dell Showcases the Power of Technology at SXSW 2017 - March 28, 2017
- Accounting Gets Artificial Intelligence: Xero’s New Service - March 16, 2017
- 4 Tips for Staying Safe on a Public Computer - January 20, 2017