Everyone wants a blog but there are few people who really know what it takes to have a blog done right. A blog “done right” means what? That you are getting your customers to read it, that hopefully a decent percentage of them are taking the action you want them to (buying something, downloading a report, etc).
Some companies think a blog should be all about their company. This is not the case for the most part. The blog can be just about your company if you have a blog to just blog about company specials, that’s one thing. But for the most part your blog should be information rich and a joy to read and be related to the things you sell.
For example, my friend Jeff Silbert, of Order of Magnitude is a business growth consultant. Not long ago he started a blog focused on executives of high growth companies. It’s interesting, entertaining and informative.
I was reading in B2B Online about a company, 3VR, which sells software to wade through hours of video capture by video camera, whose blog is a smashing success.
Their blog, In Hard Focus has content which is both educational and industry-focused, rather than promotional. One recent entry offered readers advice on how to choose to a video camera while another featured a transcript of a conversation with a university professor about smart cameras, reports B2B Online.
3VR’s founder tells B2B that three elements of his blog’s success is:
- Have good content. (“If you can’t add to a reader’s knowledge, it’s not worth doing,” Russell said).
- Participate in a conversation that can endure for a long time.
- Keep content fresh by actively looking for new things to say.
So for all of you who have yet to publish a blog and for all of you who have a blog but know it needs improvement, remember, things are real simple: have great content that your audience will absolutely love.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Vistaprint Report Says Many Consumers Will Shop More Small Businesses in 2018 - October 2, 2017
- Kensington Announces Ultimate Presenter with Virtual Pointer - October 2, 2017
- Zoho Enables Real Time Messaging with Cliq - October 1, 2017