- Ramon’s Blog on AT&T’s Lose the Laptop
- Taste of Technology Small Business Series – The Lies of Twitter and Facebook
- How Does Office Web Apps Compare to Google Docs?
- ACT! Mobile Live – Latest Connected Service From Sage North America
- Manta Unveils New Site Design and Launces New Business Select
- Manta Unveils New Site Design and Launces New Business Select
- Constant Contact Adds New Features To Event Management Tool
- Microsoft Office Users: Your Cloud Dilemma Is Over
- Starbucks…Come Back, Mobile Users. Free WiFi
- Awards and Competitions for Small Business
Ramon’s Blog on AT&T’s Lose the Laptop
Ramon’s blogging on Losethelaptop.com. Check out his recent post and vote for him. You win and he wins!
When Shopping Online: Go to Smartphone Friendly Web Sites
All malls are not created equal. Some are enjoyable to shop in – great views, easy layout, nice amenities and features to make the overall shopping experience better.
All web sites are not created equal. Some are great for shopping from a large computer screen, but don’t look so well when shopping on the small screen of a smartphones…
Full blog post…
Taste of Technology Small Business Series – The Lies of Twitter and Facebook: How to Truly Leverage Social Media to Grow your Business
If you’re in NYC next Tuesday, June 22, don’t miss the latest in our Taste of Technology Series. Featuring panelists from Dell, HubSpot and CRM Essentials, you’ll learn from gurus of social media SUCCESS (experts and everyday business people like you) how you can leverage social media as a POWERFUL tool to grow your business.
You’ll also learn the LIES of social media. The “spin” from the hype doctors that you need to be aware of to be sure you’re leveraging social media to its fullest potential and not wasting your time posting and tweeting… but growing your business.
You’ll learn what to NOT do on social media and you’ll learn what you SHOULD DO. Find out more and register here.
How Does Office Web Apps Compare to Google Docs?
Microsoft rolled out its free Office Web Apps earlier this week, introducing a free, basic Office suite for the web. How does it compare to Google’s own Docs offering? Here’s a rundown of each webapp’s strengths and weaknesses.
ACT! Mobile Live – Latest Connected Service From Sage North America
Cloud-based subscription service delivers ACT! by Sage contact management data to BlackBerry® devices; iPhone® and Windows Mobile® compatibility scheduled this year
Scottsdale, Ariz. – June 15, 2010 – Sage North America, which provides business management software and services to more than three million small and midsized businesses in Canada and the United States, today announced ACT! Mobile Live as its latest connected service. ACT! Mobile Live is a cloud-based subscription service that delivers ACT! by Sage contact and customer management data to BlackBerry devices. iPhone, Windows Mobile and Symbian compatibility are planned for later this year. ACT! Mobile Live service is available now for $10.00 per month.
Manta Unveils New Site Design and Launces New Business Select
New feature grants easy access to information on newly registered businesses
COLUMBUS, Ohio – June 15, 2010 – Manta, the largest source of information on and for small businesses, with almost 64 million business profiles, announced today a new website design offering users a more seamless, easy-to-navigate experience and integrated tools that allow business owners to make connections directly with one another. In addition to the robust network of information already available, Manta unveils its New Business Select feature that provides subscribers with information on brand new businesses–gathered from city, state, and national sources–which is made available in weekly updates after these companies file for licenses and/or register their business.
The new site design maintains the access to company information and relevant news that users have come to love, while improving the experience with a cleaner layout and easier navigation. Manta’s emerging B2B community also becomes more prominent with new tools that allow businesses to interact with one another.
In addition to the new look and feel of the site, Manta now offers the ability to access information about new businesses shortly after they are created.
Tech Tips From Real-Life “Non-Techs”!
You’re invited to hear real-life, ‘non-tech’ businesses and entrepreneurs from various industries (NOT companies selling their products/services) telling THEIR stories of Leveraging Technology – ‘Ones that Worked and Ones that Bombed’. Here’s your opportunity to learn from their successes and their mistakes and save yourself valuable time and money.
Presented by the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce and Hosted by Eisner LLP on Thursday June 24th, 8:30-10am. Click here for more details and to register.
Constant Contact Adds New Features To Event Management Tool
Integrated Ticketing — Constant Contact Event Marketing customers now have the option to create and distribute tickets to their events that attendees can print at their convenience.
- Guest Registration — Customers can now offer registrants the option of registering one or more guests, helping event owners accurately plan event attendance. Event owners can limit how many guests each registrant can bring, assign different event fees for member and non-member guests, and allow registrants to pay for their guests during the registration process. Customers can also collect information for each registered guest to help track new business leads and grow their existing email list.
- Tweet My Event — Constant Contact Event Marketing customers can now quickly and easily post their event information to their Twitter feeds, allowing small businesses and organizations to reach potential event attendees who do not subscribe to their email list. ‘Tweet My Event’ automatically shortens the homepage or registration page URL and sends a tweet from the user’s Twitter account.
- Event Currency — When setting up an event, customers can now select the preferred currency for that event. The correct currency symbol will display to registrants and, if credit card payment type is enabled, the correct currency will be communicated to PayPal.
- Copy Emails Within an Event — Constant Contact Event Marketing customers now have the ability to copy and re-use an existing email within an event. This is perfect for setting up periodic reminders of an event for registrants without developing a new invitation or email from scratch each time.
Microsoft Office Users: Your Cloud Dilemma Is Over
Over the years, Microsoft has stumbled along in its futile attempt to address the issue of companies fully leveraging cloud computing for their businesses.
Microsoft Office Live was Microsoft’s initial foray into helping businesses leverage their documents online. But the BIG sticking point was that they could not EDIT and really work with documents online. They had to download documents to their computers.
With Microsoft Office 2010 and SkyDrive (25GB of free storage) – Microsoft’s found a great mix – enabling businesses to have the power of Office 2010 (and it is very nice) while enabling them to collaborate and work when they are not using their main computers.
Actually, you can just use SkyDrive and not upgrade to Office 2010. But based on my experience it’s faster and full of more useful features that many will find worth the upgrade. Read the rest of the story on Smallbiztechnology.com
Starbucks…Come Back, Mobile Users. Free WiFi
I’ve long used Starbucks as my personal office. There’s food. A desk. That’s all I need to get things done (it’s miserable for web conferences though). I’ve also used McDonald’s from time to time, which is nice, but Starbucks has better ambiance.
Now there’s more reasons to use Starbucks – free WiFi. Unless you carry around a mobile hotspot (like I do) or a broadband wireless card (like I do) you’ll need WiFi to not pay costly fee based WiFi charges. Read the rest on Smallbiztechnology.com
Awards and Competitions for Small Business
Be sure to check out the latest list of contests, competitions and awards, brought to you by Smallbiztechnology.com and Smallbiztrends.
Latest posts by Laura Leites (see all)
- Small Biz Events, Awards & Contests: Small Business Influencers, Small Business Summit, Manta Photo Contest + More - July 8, 2013
- Small Biz Events, Contests & Awards: Alibaba Women Entrepreneurs, Inbound 2013 + More - June 24, 2013
- Small Biz Contests, Awards & Events: Small Business Heroes, Twitter Chat #SMBizEdge, Small Business Week & More - June 17, 2013