There are at least 7 main vendors selling security solutions to growing businesses:
Symantec, McAfee, Trend Micro, Microsoft, Computer Associates, Kapersky and AVG
I’m sure there’s more players that I’m not remembering right now, but these seven come to mind.
With Intel’s purchase of McAfee, Intel is doing a few things:
- Becoming a competitor of all the other security vendors they might have partnered with in the past
- Solidifying their reach into the security space
- Enabling McAfee to expand its reach into areas beyond computer and network security
What does this mean to you?
You can expect to see McAfee offer more and more powerful solutions to protect your data beyond just the computer and your local network. When companies buy vendors you rely on, it is very important to look carefully at who is buying them and why to ensure that your interests will continue to be served. In this case, I would expect Intel to provide McAfee with the resources to be an even better company.
As the Wall Street Journal articles reads:
“With the rapid expansion of growth across a vast array of Internet-connected devices, more and more of the elements of our lives have moved online,” said Intel President and Chief Executive Paul Otellini. “In the past, energy-efficient performance and connectivity have defined computing requirements. Looking forward, security will join those as a third pillar of what people demand from all computing experiences.”
McAfee, best known for its widely popular antivirus software, has recently said it was marshaling more strength to go after the quickly developing mobile market, and it recently announced it was acquiring mobile-device security company tenCube, a move that follows its purchase of Trust Digital, another mobile-security-software firm.
See my August 6, 2010 post about Intel here as well.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Salesforce Upgrade Its Customer Service Platform. Faster Setup Time. - July 27, 2017
- Why Wix Code Is a Game Changer for Businesses - July 25, 2017
- How Adobe Scan and These 7 Tips Can Make You More Productive - July 25, 2017