- Verizon promotes American Express Small Business Saturday sentiment through holiday season
- ShareFile allows customers to charge for access to premium files with FolderPay
- AVG Research: 52% SMBs Lack IT Security Policies
- New iPhone app from AT&T simplifies data backup
- SugarSync unveils FREE 5GB account
- Corel WordPerfect Office X5 Update Now Available
- Quickbooks 2011: The Missing Manual
Verizon promotes American Express Small Business Saturday sentiment through holiday season
American Express launched a movement called Small Business Saturday which urged shoppers to shop at a local business last Saturday, Nov. 27. Verizon is urging small businesses to support one another by shopping at a local store in their community throughout this holiday season, and to encourage this effort is giving away a $25 AMEX gift card up until Dec. 20 to qualifying small businesses when they promote their business on the Verizon Small Biz Blog. A total of 800 AMEX gift card (or $20,000) will be given away to support local small businesses.
Verizon’s Small Biz website lands top ranking
Verizon’s website for small businesses, http://smallbusiness.verizon.com, has been ranked No. 1 in an independent survey of websites that target small businesses with products and services. Compass Intelligence, a global consulting and marketing analytics firm that conducted the review of the websites of 49 companies, said Verizon’s small-business site “offers an elegant mix of multimedia, easy-to-understand product details, online buying and compelling customer stories that connect to an actual solution.”
ShareFile allows customers to charge for access to premium files with FolderPay
Unique Functionality Reinforces Company’s Commitment to Delivering Professional Solutions for Secure File Exchange
ShareFile, a leading provider of secure file transfer and full-featured virtual data room solutions that enable companies to exchange large and/or confidential business files, announced FolderPay™, an offering which allows companies to charge for access to premium files or folders hosted using ShareFile’s service. Through the offering, content owners can charge customers per download or on a subscription basis. This functionality is unique in the marketplace and is now live for a select subset of ShareFile’s 1.5 million users.
A direct response to customer feedback, FolderPay is a fully customizable solution that allows corporations to easily streamline operations and effectively manage access to premium business content. Using the familiar, custom-branded ShareFile portal, content owners are able to assign a price per content item or subscription, optionally offer view-only previews of premium content and link an account for payment.
AVG Research: 52% SMBs Lack IT Security Policies
According to AVG’s recently released SMB Landscape Report, available at the company’s new Business Resource Center, 52% of SMBs lack IT security policies. The reasearch also shows:
- 83% agree that having the right level of IT security protection is critical to their business
- 77% say that a security threat could have a significant negative impact on their business
- 55% feel they can make IT security decisions without 3rd party influence
- However, only 48% have a clear IT security policy in place for their staff, leaving most at the mercy of what employees decide to download or access online
- As a result, perhaps not surprisingly, 1 in 4 have experienced a security breach
- Most worryingly, 1 in 7 have no security software or systems in place at all
New iPhone app from AT&T simplifies data backup for Small Businesses on the go
Small business owners can now conveniently access their backed up PC data from their iPhone with a new mobile application announced today by AT&T*. The company’s AT&T Tech Support 360(SM) Backup and Go Mobile App gives small business customers the ability to access their computer files backed up with AT&T’s Backup and Go service from virtually anywhere.
The full-featured app uses an enhanced user interface that integrates seamlessly with smartphones. The new mobile app can display 52 of the most common file types, including documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and photos. Previously, smartphones were limited to browser-based access to the Backup and Go service.
In addition to accessing backed-up data, the Backup and Go app also allows users to share and collaborate on files with colleagues and clients. Users may also quickly search for files on backed-up computers, print, email, or fax directly from a smartphone, and upload files to a computer for online sharing and editing.
The app is now available as a free download from the App Store on iPhones or at the iTunes App store. Access to the Backup and Go Mobile app requires a login to an AT&T Tech Support 360 Backup and Go account and can only be used by Backup and Go subscribers.
SugarSync unveils FREE 5GB account
SugarSync Inc., makers of the award-winning SugarSync file sync, online backup and file sharing service, today announced it has more than doubled its free service offering, and unveiled a new, free 5 GB plan. The upgraded plan allows consumers to manage their important data, anytime, anywhere, and now from any device. With the most generous, free sync-and-share offering for the Personal Cloud, consumers can securely backup and instantly access all of their most important files—thousands of documents, photos, songs, or other valued content—from any device they choose, regardless of their operating system or handset preference.
Corel WordPerfect Office X5 Update Now Available
Free Update to Corel’s Flagship Office Software Includes Improved Compatibility with Microsoft Office
Corel released a new update for Corel WordPerfect Office X5. Available as a free download to current WordPerfect Office X5® customers, Service Pack (SP)1 builds on the office suite’s unmatched file format support and legendary formatting features, adding over 50 key enhancements requested by users. This new update offers improved file compatibility with Microsoft® Office 2010 formats as well as enhancements to the suite’s document-management, Web services and printing features.
Quickbooks 2011: The Missing Manual
Your bookkeeping workflow will be smoother and faster with QuickBooks 2011—but only if you spend more time using the program than figuring out how it works. Quickbooks 2011: The Missing Manual (O’Reilly Media, $29.99 USD) puts you in control. You’ll not only find out how and when to use specific features, you’ll also get basic accounting advice to help you through the learning process.
Quickbooks 2011: The Missing Manual shows you all the important stuff you need to know, including how to:
- Set up QuickBooks. Arrange files and preferences to suit your company.
- Manage your business. Track inventory, control spending, run payroll, and handle income.
- Follow the money. Examine everything from customer invoices to year-end tasks.
- Find key info quickly. Take advantage of QuickBooks’ reports, Company Snapshot, and search tools.
- Streamline your workflow. Set up the Home page and Online Banking Center to meet your needs.
- Build and monitor budgets. Learn how to keep your company financially fit.
- Share your financial data. Work with your accountant more efficiently.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Ooma Announces DP1 Wireless Deskphone with Call Conferencing and 2-Line Controls for Small Businesses - August 18, 2018
- 5 Tips for Instagram Advertising for Small Businesses - August 17, 2018
- Are Business Plans Necessary to Start a Business? - August 16, 2018