I recently finished reading Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuck. If you want to grow your business and also be a power house media darling – it’s not hard and Gary’s book is one of the clearest combinations of how to really do this, that I’ve read.
I’ve heard a lot about Gary Vaynerchuck, as many of you have. He has over 85,000 Twitter followers and is one of the leading “online brands” with Guy Kawasaki, Robert Scoble, Chris Brogan, Peter Shankman, Seth Godin (the ultimate king) and a few others.
I saw Gary at a NYXPO event last year, with Robert Scoble and was simply turned off by his spicy language and what I would call aggressively overbearing behavior to Robert Scoble – not allowing Robert to get a word in.
However, I just finished reading “Crush It” and my attitude has changed. Has it changed just by reading this book? Not quite. It changed because I’ve realized that all of us are simply the way we are – there’s many great people but we all have some rough edges, some more rough than others. I’m very loud and energetic, I’m told by at least one person at every event I speak at. To some people that’s a turn off. When I saw a recent video of Gary, a few hours after reading his book, I realized that this guy, from the parents of hard working Russian immigrants, is where he is today because of his intense passion and tireless work ethic. Yeah, he’s spicy – and it’s growing on me.
In Crush It, Gary has three rules – dedication to your family, have passion and work very hard. These are all true.
But I know Gary would not be the media darling he is, if it was not for the Internet which enabled him to quickly be seen by so many,so fast. Hence my thought that one of the rules I’ll add to Gary’s rules are to leverage the power of the Internet in your business and Gary gives some very practical insight about using the Internet in Crush It. In fact lots of the book is about leveraging the Internet.
Here’s what some more of what I gleaned from his book..
Some of the business professionals I run into are not passionate. Sure they want to make an income but they are not deliriously serious about doing all they can, to bust their butt and grow their business. If you have a full time job, you can work from 9pm (or after your children go to be) to 2 or 3 in the morning.
Build Your Personal Brand
Don’t just sell stuff – but let people see what’s special about you and let it shine online. Build a growing following of followers who don’t just want to buy your stuff but want to follow you for who you are.
20 years ago, it would have been hard to build your personal brand, but only, everyone (anyone) an do it.
Use Social Media
Start a blog and start to post content to it. In this post I’m not going to get into how to do that, but Crush It and other resources will help you. Link the blog and leverage Facebook, Twitter, and photos. There’s dozens and dozens of ways to post content and frequent content online to build a following of readers.
Keeping It Real
Beyond all the technology and brand stuff, this chapter of Gary’s book is one of the most important.
– Be authentic (be yourself) – don’t try to be who you are not. You are NOT Oprah Winfrey or Gary. You be you.
– Invest in important stuff. Gary says that as you’re starting out don’t worry about expensive technology. Just be “good enough” my words to get the point across. You don’t want to be sloppy but you don’t have to be perfect or look like a network television anchor.
– Hustle. Gary said if you’re serious about building your brand there is no time for Wii or Scrabble. Focus on building your brand and writing content.
– Patience. Chris Brogan (another huge online media guy – if you don’t know him) did a video once as he was leaving his apartment. He said that success does not come overnight but it’s about waking about at 4am in the morning, not sleeping much and busting your butt to get ahead. Period.
There’s so much more in Gary’s book and I encourage you to read it and grow your personal brand. The money will follow. Most likely in ways you can’t even imagine.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- 3 Reasons Invoicing Apps Are Essential For Fledgling Businesses - November 28, 2016
- Don’t Let Technology Create Blinders On Your Persepctive. Every Leader’s Nightmare. - November 27, 2016
- Video Humanizes Your Brand: 3 Tips To Use It For Your Business. - November 4, 2016