Yesterday I was on the train riding into New York City and flipping through my stack of Crain’s NY magazines.
I’ve noticed that in general more advertisements are coming with QR Codes (not just in Crain’s but in magazines and other print. Ironically I don’t see any QR codes on the radio ).
In the magazine, there was an advertisement from Chase Bank marketing it’s new e-commerce service.
The adv had the obligatory QR Code which I scanned with my phone.
I was taken to a web site which was sort of optimized for a mobile browser, but I still had to do quite a bit of scroll and resizing of the page. There was also a video on the page and instead of smoothly playing as a video embed in the mobile web site, I had to download a video file and then play it on my phone. Not good.
What Chase should have done was had a custom web site for smart phones, with minimal graphics and plenty of vertically scrolling content that was easy to ready on my phone’s browser.
Furthermore, they should have had the video play right when I clicked on the “play” button and not download.
Lesson learned: Mobile marketing is great, such as the use of QR Codes, but as you use market to a mobile audience give some thought into the end user experience. Although your mobile customers can go online via their smartphones, their screens are very small and many connections might still not be as fast as desktop Internet connections. Design your mobile marketing content with this in mind.
As small business owners with little budgets, few resources and minimal expertise, you might not be able to get everything right all the time. But rely on your service providers to help you do things right. There is a list of great resources you can check out here.
Here’s five things to keep in mind:
- Mobile screens are smaller
- Mobile speeds (overall and for many) are still slower than a desktop computer
- Your reader is more distracted and has less time on their smartphone than on your computer
- The reader wants less eye candy and more information – fast
- Try out your own mobile marketing and see if you like it
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Vistaprint Report Says Many Consumers Will Shop More Small Businesses in 2018 - October 2, 2017
- Kensington Announces Ultimate Presenter with Virtual Pointer - October 2, 2017
- Zoho Enables Real Time Messaging with Cliq - October 1, 2017