In my continued quest to read one or more books a week, the latest book I’ve read is Phil Simon’s book “The New Small”.
Phil’s book is a guideline to help any business, but especially small businesses use technology (often low cost technology) to move faster and smarter than their competition.
As small businesses, we have the same needs of many bigger businesses, however our resources (time, money, staff) are much smaller.
Phil outlines in “The New Small” how we smaller businesses can harness and strategically use technology as a tool to grow our businesses and as I always say – to save time, save money, be more productive and boost customer service.
The first part of The New Small gives an overview of trends and five enablers in using technology. You read this part of the book to get a core foundation of how you should start to THINK about using technology STRATEGICALLY!
Phil says that the main trends driving small businesses to embrace emerging technologies are:
- Flexibility and agility
- Content and Choice
- Experimentation and acceptable risk
- Social Customer
- War for Talent
There are five enables or specific technologies that allow small businesses to do amazing things. These are:
- Cloud computing (the book lists Software as a Service as another enabling but I consider it the same as cloud computing in many ways)
- Free and Open Source Software
- Social Networks
What I like best about The New Small is that in the second part of the book Phil outlines how 11 companies, small companies like yours and mine are using emerging technology in innovative ways. Some of the ways are downright simple, but all of the ways let them do one or several of saving time, saving money, boosting productivity and/or helping customers.
Phil’s a smart guy and his book will help you smartly use technology.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Salesforce Upgrade Its Customer Service Platform. Faster Setup Time. - July 27, 2017
- Why Wix Code Is a Game Changer for Businesses - July 25, 2017
- How Adobe Scan and These 7 Tips Can Make You More Productive - July 25, 2017