Are you fed up with working in the same, small cubical and want to work on a laptop or table while sitting on your comfortable couch? Are you bored working on fixed office hours? The advantage of having a mobile office is that you can leave that suffocating “office time,” for a more flexible, consistent supply of fresh inspiration.
If you are running your own business and you need to be on the road and travel a lot then you may want to consider taking your office with you while you are on the move. Thanks to today’s technological advancements, it is very easy to set up a mobile office that you can take with you in the car, train, or airplane. This is a great way to have everything you need with you at all times and be able to be online most of the time so that you can check your mail and stay in touch with your colleagues and customers. Here is a list of the basic things you will need to get started:
• Laptop: This is the most important item as you’ll be using your laptop to run all your necessary apps and connect you online. You should choose a small and lightweight model that is easy to carry and use anywhere as you may have to use it in a restricted space like on a train or plane, so it’s best to choose a compact one. Make sure it has built in wireless internet connectivity so you can easily go online and check that it has enough connection ports like USB for connecting other devices like memory cards so you can transfer files easily. All laptops come with rechargeable batteries that enable you to work for a few hours without being connected to a power socket this is a handy feature but you will have to recharge the battery after using it.
• Printer/Scanner: If you need to print or scan documents while on the road then you need to buy a portable printer/scanner. These portable devices are small and compact and don’t weigh a lot so you can easily connect them anywhere to your laptop. You can choose between a wireless or USB connection.
• Data Storage: Although many of the new laptops come with a large built in hard drive it is always handy to have a portable storage device for transferring files from other computers. You can choose from several devices like a portable hard drive or a USB memory stick depending on the size of the documents and data that you want to store. The USB sticks are the smallest and most portable but the portable hard drives will often have more storage space.
• Software: You can use any software that you are currently using on your desktop with the modern laptops, although sometimes large graphically demanding programs may be difficult to run, so if you use one of these programs make sure your laptop has enough RAM and video card memory in order to run the software.
• A Comfortable Carry Bag: You need to have a bag that can carry all the equipment and other things necessary for your mobile office. If you have heavy and uncomfortable bag, then having a mobile office would be more of a hassle than it should be. If you’re in the market of a good bag, both ebags.com and coolcomputerbags.com have a good selection.