Are you at the stage of incorporating social media into your small business strategy? If you’re considering using a social media consultant to guide you through your strategy, utilize your consultant in the following ways:
- Ask your consultants what type of social media consulting they do. Social Media is such a broad term. What specific social media do you want your consultant to be proficient with?
- Ask your consultants what are their 3 major strengths?
- Discuss your presumptions and goals about social media with your consultants. (Look at the SMART social media article I wrote as a precursor exercise).
- Ask your consultants what they can and cannot do with your social media proposal.
- Once you begin working with your social media consultant, set clear deadlines and times to connect and discuss the progress of your social media.
- Decide a cost effective model with your consultant. Will paying by the hour work or a will a fixed contract fee be more efficient?
- Doing some thinking beforehand and asking your social media consultants the right questions will all lead to ‘a better social media fix’ for your small business!
- If your social media consultant fails to answer these questions, or doesn’t take the initiative to tell you themselves, you might want to move onto another consultant.
No one size fits all solution:
In the world of social media, there is no out of box solution in which one size fits all. In my consulting, I’ve come across clients who are completely perplexed about social media. They don’t know where to begin. The idea of a social media consultant to take care of it all becomes desirable. But don’t fall into the illusion of a consultant having the magic wand to make you a one night wonder.
Asking yourself questions beforehand:
It sounds like an oxymoron to ask yourself questions about your social media strategy if you’re clueless. But even if they are abstract goals, write them down. I’ve seen business owners getting irritated when the questions begin to roll out. They were pressed for time and didn’t have the time to even think about what they wanted. Do you see where these types of campaigns end up going?
The solutions that your consultant should come up with you are:
-Where can you automate certain tasks?
-Where will you need a more genuine, authentic engagement that will require either you or another person to monitor and engage with your target audience?
Having a sound social media strategy is not impossible – but it won’t be possible without assessing and asking the right questions from both you and your consultant!
Latest posts by Sana Ahmed (see all)
- A Quick Walkthrough of the Linkedin Company Page - December 28, 2011
- Quick Insights on Twitter’s Advertising Program - December 21, 2011
- [Insights] Top 5 Uses for Tablets & Small Business Applications - November 28, 2011