People often ask me “so are you off tomorrow” in reference to a major holiday or something. Since I work for myself, I often chuckle. I never really take a “vacation” and go off the grid but am always ‘working’ in one way or another.
I think that many professionals are in a similar bind and technology makes it so much easier to not really take a true “vacation”.
No longer could you leave your computer at home and have that be an excuse for why you could not access corporate email or documents. With so much information readily available through any web browser, on any computer, busy professionals vacationing in El Paso or the Bahamas can securely access corporate resources wherever they are.
A recent survey from Ring Central provides the following interesting statistics:
- Only 14% of business owners are planning to take a true vacation – very few people will take any hiatus from work-related emails or phone calls. Business owners will stay connected via smartphones to take work calls while on vacation or traveling to be with family.
- 73% of business owners will allow their employees to work remotely –business owners will be more flexible this year than in the past in allowing their employees to work remotely during the holidays.
- The majority of small business owners use at least one cloud service and one-third of small business owners use three or more cloud services – cloud-based technology, such as Gmail, Salesforce, Box.net and RingCentral, is becoming increasingly popular for small business owners with remote workforces aiming to stay atop every to-do and prospect even while away from the office.
- Cloud technology is expected to trump traditional software in the next 3 years – nearly 90% of respondents indicated they expect to transition into the cloud in the near-term, signaling tremendous growth for this segment of business technology.
- Small business owners are less motivated by cost today when considering new technology purchases – the primary factor small business owners consider when choosing to buy new technology is functionality, focusing on what the technology delivers and how it can contribute to business workflow and accelerated success.
It’s understandable that business owners want to ensure their business functions even if key management or staff are away. On the other hand it’s important that your staff and management do have times away from the office (literally and figuratively). If you have systems in place and good management delegation.
It’s understandable that while YOU are away you need to manage your business and ensure things go well. Customers won’t take kindly to you telling them you are on vacation. However, as with your managers and key staff, YOU should train trusted staff and have sufficient delegation in place.
Have a great vacation and don’t allow technology to control or own your time with your family and/or friends.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- 4 Tips for Staying Safe on a Public Computer - January 20, 2017
- 5 Tips To Choosing Your Marketing Automation Provider - December 16, 2016
- GoDaddy Enhances Mobile Shopping With ApplePay and Shopping Cart Intelligence - December 14, 2016