We all consume way too much information. We consume it for fear that we’ll miss something in regard to our markets, products, customers, competition. Or in may case since I report and comment on the news of the day as it relates to business and tech I’ve got to cover EVERYTHING (or so I feel).
O’Reilly has a new book about about this. Their press release reads:
The modern human animal spends upwards of 11 hours out of every 24 in a state of constant consumption. Not eating, but gorging on information ceaselessly spewed from the screens and speakers we hold dear. Just as we have grown morbidly obese on sugar, fat, and flour—so, too, have we become gluttons for texts, instant messages, emails, RSS feeds, downloads, videos, status updates, and tweets.
And just as too much junk food can lead to obesity, too much junk information can lead to ignorance. The Information Diet(O’Reilly, $22.99 USD) shows you how to thrive in this information glut—what to look for, what to avoid, and how to be selective. In the process, author Clay Johnson explains the role information has played throughout history, and why following his prescribed diet is essential for everyone who strives to be smart, productive, and sane.
“2012 aims to be more filled with junk information than any other year in human history,” notes Johnson, the founder of Blue State Digital, the firm that built and managed Barack Obama’s online campaign for the presidency in 2008. “That’s why it’s time for an Information Diet.”
In The Information Diet, you will:
- Discover why eminent scholars are worried about our state of attention and general intelligence
- Examine how today’s media—Big Info—give us exactly what we want: content that confirms our beliefs
- Learn to take steps to develop data literacy, attention fitness, and a healthy sense of humor
- Become engaged in the economics of information by learning how to reward good information providers
Just like a normal, healthy food diet, The Information Diet is not about consuming less—it’s about finding a healthy balance that works for you.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Salesforce Upgrade Its Customer Service Platform. Faster Setup Time. - July 27, 2017
- Why Wix Code Is a Game Changer for Businesses - July 25, 2017
- How Adobe Scan and These 7 Tips Can Make You More Productive - July 25, 2017