One of the biggest problems small businesses face in today’s roller coaster economy is how to develop implement marketing that works on a tight budget. In a bid to get new customers and to retain current customers; a strategic marketing plan is required. One key aspect to a strategic marketing plan is search engine optimization. I know, many small businesses are already doing SEO, but they can make more improvements to their SEO strategies and make their websites easier to find on search engines.
SEO is important and became more sophisticated over the years. The main objective of SEO is the adaptation of certain practices and procedures that could help a website to increase its rankings on popular search engines such as Google. Here are seven ways to improve SEO in 2012:
1. Make SEO part of Marketing Process: SEO consultants often spend a lot of time in juggling with technical aspects to achieve high ranking in search engines results. It is important to admit that SEO is and integral part of marketing process and can create relevant contributions to your overall marketing strategy.
2. Keywords: Selecting the right keywords are the backbone of your SEO process. Keywords reflect the focus of your page. It is advisable to pick two to four keywords or phrase per webpage.
3. Don’t Underestimate a Blog!: Great blog writing is hard and difficult to do consistently. But a company blog can do wonders for your SEO by optimizing your keywords, adding more pages to your websites (which creates more chances for your website to be found), and creating more opportunities for others to link to your site.
4. Think out of Box: Usually SEO practitioners usually start working on pre-defined SEO automation tools like directory submissions, bookmarks, articles, blog comments etc. I not saying that these tools are waste. But, you have to constantly keep learning and trying new things. It often takes some time to see results, and you don’t know if something else will work better unless you try that something else. Your hard work will pay off, as long as you post quality content and the links in your website that are relevant. You can consider focusing on developing contacts in your market to enhance website visibility, and this can be done through improving your online brand name in social networking websites.
5. Comments can Improve SEO: The comments on your blog can improve the SEO of your website. The keywords used in comments can help you to get good pagerank. However, you need to beware of spammers who mention link of their websites with their comments. So, it is better to monitor comments and to respond to comments. It is also better to worry about the comments on your site, versus taking the time to comment on the sites of others for the sake of SEO. That tactic no longer works because of the spammers.
6. There’s No Magic Bullet: Patience, consistency, and continual education are the keys to success in SEO. Your competitors and search engines change their algorithms time to time. Set your homepage to an RSS feed reader. You can subscribe to about 10 to 15 blogs ranging from SEO to marketing to copywriting. This will help to save time in collecting new information and staying ahead of trends.
7. Monitor Your Competitors: Track your competitors. Analyze their strategy and then pick the best point from each of competitors and here you can make a strong strategy for your venture. You competitors can give you a lot of new ideas!
These are few tips that may help you to improve SEO of your website and will hopefully generate sales and profit from search engine rankings.