What’s revealing about their choice is that the IT department detailed why they choose Google but also shared that Microsoft’s Office 365 had several things going for it better than Google.
While this “win” for Google is big, let it be a lesson to you and your business that it’s critical that you carefully analyze all facets of a technology implementation before using it in your business.
Here’s a few highlights:
- Google Apps is entirely web site. Office 365 still relies on software, namely Microsoft Office for full functionality.
- Berkeley could migrate from their old email service to Google much faster than they could to Office 365
- Installing Office 36e would require software installation on computers, as opposed to only user a web browser.
- Berkeley liked that Microsoft could straddle software and the cloud
- Many of it’s students were already familiar with Gmail – same interface as Google Apps
- Office 365 has a better and more powerful calendar than Google. But only 5% of the users would need the powerful features.
- Microsoft Office 365 has better security than Google – but only by a small margin
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Facebook’s Tools for Mentorship, Hiring and Education - November 14, 2018
- My Experience at a Facebook Community Boost Event - November 12, 2018
- Actress and Entrepreneur Nikki Reed Shares Her Insights on Sustainability, Tech, and Design - November 2, 2018