Windows 8, the next version of Microsoft Windows operating system is suspected to be released later this year – when I don’t think we know quite yet. Based on the Windows experts I’ve been reading, there are several major updates to Windows 8 that could make it a very compelling upgrade for businesses and individuals.
Our friends at SMB Nation are in fact putting together a 2 days live web cast about Windows 8 on March 2 and 3, you can find out more details here.
If you are a NON TECHIE owner of a business it’s important that you are lightly aware of Windows 8. If you are an IT professional or a techie owner of a business knowing more about Windows 8 is important. Keep in mind, technology, with all other things being equal is almost always a huge competitive differentiator in a business. Windows 8 will offer more direct competition with the Apple ecosystem but also be an important operating system changing, once again, the PC desktop.
- Microsoft SkyDrive will be integrated into Windows 8, giving stiffer competition to any other online file storage service – including DropBox, YouSendIt, Google, Carbonite and Mozy
- For mobile devices, Windows 8 will optimize battery life
- The new version of Microsoft Office, Office 15, is expected to have a new architecture, Metro, that has a tile like user interface. But there’s a some confusion over if the new Microsoft Office will have a completely new interface, of tiles, or only for certain iterations or versions of it
- Windows 8 will be OPTIMIZED for a mobile environment, include sensor support (as in GPS, accelerometer and magnetometer sensing)
- Live tiles will be used in Windows 8 – similar to the new Microsoft smartphones. The live tiles can group of applications and show live data.
- Microsoft will have a Windows store which will be a place to download new apps for Windows 8
Windows 7 has been working just great for me, but when you upgrade your next computer in 2013, it’ll probably come with a new operating system – and it looks like you’ll love it.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Advice from the 2017 SXSW Dell Experience: How to Pitch a Complex Business - March 30, 2017
- The Experience: Dell Showcases the Power of Technology at SXSW 2017 - March 28, 2017
- Accounting Gets Artificial Intelligence: Xero’s New Service - March 16, 2017