You don’t need an overwhelming amount of clutter to have a business that runs less efficiently than would be considered optimal. Knowing where something is and not having to scramble around for information helps you in ways you never thought possible.
In fact, it’s easily observable that more organized people tend to have better performance, not only as a result of their work ethic but also a result of the reduced amount of clutter. Similarly, reducing your clutter will not only increase the amount of time you have, but will also increase your potential to earn, which is always a good reason to walk the extra mile.
Decreasing your clutter by hand is only half the fight. You need to get things that will help you operate more efficiently and keep everything neat. That’s why companies like Epson and The Neat Company have gadgets that will not only help you around the office, but possibly also make your home life easier.
Today, we’re going to present 10 must-have devices in your office that will help you get more organized:
Epson LabelWorks Label Printers – Have you ever gotten a new filing cabinet or a piece of furniture with drawers and don’t know how to sort out the new space? Epson can help you here! Its label printers will allow you to label things so you can organize yourself better. Their labels come in many different colors, including glow-in-the-dark label cartridges for those times when you’re plowing through the late hours of the night or the wee hours of the morning. Want the printer? Get the LW-300 ($39.99) or LW-400 (larger version with wider labels, for $49.99).
NeatReceipts – Tired of scrambling around your briefcase or filing cabinet looking for receipts from the last tax year? One of the biggest pains in a person’s life is keeping track of everything at tax season, and trying to file on time. A company called The Neat Company says, “Why even keep the receipts at all?” They came up with a scanner that recognizes US and Canadian receipts with on-the-fly mobile scanning. Paper receipts take up a significant amount of space, especially if you run through a lot of expenses. The scanner will take up even less space than all the receipts you have to keep. The NeatReceipts scanner costs $199.95 at NeatStore.
Dreamfarm Gripet – Although it’s a simple gadget, Dreamfarm came up with a solution to move notes and reminders away from your desk and onto your wall. Once mounted, you can snap notes onto it to significantly reduce what’s on your desk. It uses friction to hold onto many papers at one time of varying thickness. The product is sold for $19.99 at Amazon.
Rolodex Monitor Stand – Your monitor takes some space on your desk, leaving you with precious real estate lost to a screen that you really need for daily functions. Who said you have to settle for that? Rolodex doesn’t think so! The company came up with a monitor stand that lets you elevate your monitor and puts a drawer underneath it, along with some open space below where you can stow away things you would have otherwise left in the open. Rolodex’s monitor stand will cost you $74.99 at Newegg.
Belkin Conserve Valet– A study cited by BBC shows that at least 700 million British pounds (approx. $1 billion) are spent each year from gadgets left in standby mode. That includes your phone, computer monitor, tablet, laptop, etc. When a device is plugged into a charger, it chooses to suck a little bit of that juice from the straw, even when it’s on battery power. Belkin’s “Conserve Valet” helps reduce the impact you make on the global ecosystem – and your wallet – by charging up to 4 devices for 4.5 hours. It shuts off automatically when the time limit has expired. The device is available for purchase at the Belkin store for $39.99.
- Black & Decker 6-Sheet Crosscut Shredder – A big part of running any sort of business is making sure that confidential information doesn’t have a chance to end up in the wrong hands. Unfortunately, shredders are usually expensive and take up just as much space as a trash bin. Famous tool maker Black & Decker cuts up documents while taking up less space. The shredder can be bought at Best Buy for $44.99, although they occasionally discount this product. Note: Buy this only if you have light shredding to do. The machine isn’t equipped to handle heavy shredding jobs.
Cordies Cable Organizers – You have a coat hanger ready for you when you get home, so that you don’t have to take your coat all the way to the wardrobe. You can do this without leaving a coat on the ground. Why didn’t anyone think of this for computer cables? Oh, wait. Someone did! You can have a cable organizer ready for you in the office so that you don’t have to make the decision between storing the cable and leaving it hanging, hoping that it won’t just fall somewhere your feet are likely to step on anytime soon. Buy yourself a cable organizer – the coat hanger your cables deserve – from ThinkGeek for $9.99 apiece!
- PadTab – Wouldn’t it be great if you had somewhere to put your tablet so it doesn’t take space on your desk? Try mounting it on a wall! PadTab allows you to mount your tablet computer right on virtually any vertical surface. The kit costs $19.99, sold at ThinkGeek. The company says that it’s compatible with many tablets. We suggest you call them up to see if it’s compatible with yours, if you don’t see its name on the list.
Applecore Cable Shorteners – You surely have had this happen to you: You buy a printer you plan to put right on your desk, close to your computer, only to find out that the manufacturer provided a gargantuan cable long enough to lasso a bull with! Getting a short cable is bad, but getting a cable that’s too long can make your desk look like a dead tarantula. That’s why Applecore comes up with a simple solution, named the Applecore cable shortener. You can wrap your cable around this little piece of rubber and make your desk into a more elegant part of your office. Applecore’s products vary from small to large, and the price is based on that. You can also scroll to the bottom of the aforementioned link to check out some of their package deals.
- Tear-Away Planner Mousepad – If you have a ton of things to schedule and keep track of, you’re going to love this. Sure, things like Google Calendar already exist, but when you have a quick event or due date to jot down, wouldn’t it be awesome to have it right under your hands? The tear-away planner mousepad does just this, giving you an entire year’s calendar right under your mouse. Just lift your mouse and write down what you have to! This is an ideal product for those who don’t think they’ll miss their old mousepad and wouldn’t mind giving that space on the desk one more use. You can order it at ThinkGeekfor $9.99.
If you combine the forces of these items, not only will you end up with a more pleasant working environment, but you will also increase your productivity from the lift of spirit it gives you along with the great ability you’ll have to find things when you need them. Don’t underestimate the power of neat!
Latest posts by Miguel Leiva-Gomez (see all)
- What is ERP? Does It Have a Place In Small Business? - November 7, 2013
- Small Business IP Phone Services: A Guide To Choosing The Right System For Your Business - September 26, 2013
- 3 Services That Help Add A Face to the Name on Your Contact List - September 23, 2013