Local craftsmen have a hard time getting jobs. When there’s lots of business or one main project things are great. But when the deal flow dries up it’s very hard to get work. It’s even harder when people are NOT knocking on your door, even just for advice, but you have to knock on so many doors.
The NY Times writes that many contractors are turning to Craig’s list for work and getting mixed results.
While Craig’s list is one option here are 5 things local contractors can do to GET more sales and more referrals:
- Ensure you are listed and have the CORRECT listing on local directory services such as Manta.com, Local.com, YellowPages.com, MerchantCircle.com, Google Local and other sources.
- Have at least a one page web site of information about yourself and your business and a NICE photo of yourself and successful projects.
- Use REFERRALS. Ask customers to refer you to others (see the Referral Engine book by John Jantsch)
- Take the time to write CONTENT. While you don’t want to be a 24/7 news site about contracting, dry wall, plumbing or something – why not write one article a month with one (or more) tips on what you do. Search engines will see this and start to put your web site up higher than others.
- Get active. Attend local business and other meetings to get inside your LOCAL community so when they need your service, you are on the top of their mind.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Salesforce Upgrade Its Customer Service Platform. Faster Setup Time. - July 27, 2017
- Why Wix Code Is a Game Changer for Businesses - July 25, 2017
- How Adobe Scan and These 7 Tips Can Make You More Productive - July 25, 2017