For workers who frequently travel, logging expenses can be an administrative nightmare. Keeping up with mileage, saving receipts, and recording it all when you return to the office is far more than many small businesses have time to handle.
“Apps for mobile workers is a natural evolution of the consumer tech market and a huge opportunity for businesses and the vendors that support them,” states Adrian Schauer, president and CEO of Vortex Connect, a mobile workforce productivity software solution. “Over time, most workers will be mobile in some fashion, and they’ll expect that the apps they use on their desktops and at home will be accessible for business purposes on their smartphones and tablets.”
Luckily, there are several apps that can help your mobile records become more productive, while allowing you to better manage your team. Here are five notable apps to help small businesses on the go.
- Vortex Connect–If your team is still coming into the office to receive assignments and retrieve paperwork, you’re wasting money. Vortex Connect automates your scheduling, allowing for real time changes and even mobile notifications when meetings or appointments change. The software also has the ability to track your employees, allowing for easier rescheduling on your part. If one team member can’t make an appointment, you can find out with just a couple of clicks (or taps on the screen of your mobile devices) which employee is closest to that location.
- Concur for Travel and Expense–This useful streamlines travel planning and tracking activities, allowing you to book flights and make hotel and car reservations straight from the interface. Once your reservation has been made, it’s saved in the system. Additionally, your expenses can be easily tracked so that when the trip is over, you only need to send the information to accounting for payment. All of this can be done through your desktop, laptop, or mobile device. Plans start at $8 per month for small businesses.
- Runzheimer Mobile–This route-planning software helps your small business by minimizing trips and saving time. You and your staff will no longer waste time or be late for meetings because of poorly constructed directions. But even better, this software helps you plan your day based on the best route available. Handle all your appointments on one side of town before moving to another. Prepare an automated itinerary from your appointments that accomplishes your daily assignments without wasted trips.
- Dropbox–If your mobile team members have a need to share documents, Dropbox is still one of the more popular apps. Dropbox constantly syncs your computer to its server via a secure connection, ensuring your documents are always up-to-date. This application is ideal for those needing to sync files via multiple devices and systems. You’ll also be able to share files with your team members, always ensuring you have the latest version. The free version of Dropbox includes 2GB of storage plus extra storage (up to 18GB for every person you refer). Paid versions with higher storage levels start at $9.99 or $99 per year.
- Teambox–With support for both Dropbox and Google Docs, Teambox combines document sharing with social media. Your team can chat, share documents, and keep up with the status of certain facets of your project. This is perfect for mobile workers who need to be able to stay in touch while on the road.
Today’s small businesses rarely consist of full-time office staff. With increasing numbers of workers working from home and while on the road, mobile solutions are needed to keep employees in touch and able to do their jobs at all times. These great solutions can make your mobile workforce more productive at minimal cost.
Latest posts by Stephanie Faris (see all)
- Can RebelMouse Energize Your Social Campaigns? - February 21, 2014
- TagMyDoc Provides Document Versioning to Businesses - November 15, 2013
- 10 Tools For Managing Business Cards and Exchanging Contacts in the Digital Age - November 13, 2013