Last night I was at the Digital Advertisers Roundtable organized by Vanguarde Consulting Group and hosted by New York Institute of Technology Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, School of Management. Nice event with great panelists and moderator.
Panelists included: Danielle Robinson (Saatchi & Saatchi), Stacey Aronstein (LinkedIn), Kay Lucas (MediaSense) and Theresa Braun (Likeable Media).
One of the anecdotal discussion threads was about dry cleaners and social media.
While I do think that ALL small businesses should a) consider online marketing and all should b) create content – I do believe the focus on these two items varies greatly depending on the type of business.
I strongly feel that while it’s cute for a local dry cleaner to Tweet and “engage” their audience – overall people just want to have their clothes quickly cleaned – this is not a relationship business – necessarialy.
However, I think INSTEAD of focusing on social media, the local dry cleaner should focus on knowing who their customers are and collecting email, txt and postal addresses on each of their customers. This enables them, with permission to reach out to customers in interesting ways.
Postcards, special SMS messages about cleaning specials, an email when their clothes are ready and so many other things.
I posted about this on Facebook some people agreed with me, some did not.
6 Reasons Why Dry Cleaners Should (initially) Ignore Social Media
- Focus on those customers who are walking in your door
- Work to have them come back again and again
- Create a referral system to have them recommend other customers (Infusionsoft can help with that and read John Jantsch’s book “Referral Engine“
- While business is always about a relationship all transactions are not warm and fuzzy relationship focused
- Social media is quite broad and dynamic and real time – email is quick, fast and right to individuals
- Your customer does not necessarily want to “engage” about their pants they just want them back quickly
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Accounting Gets Artificial Intelligence: Xero’s New Service - March 16, 2017
- 4 Tips for Staying Safe on a Public Computer - January 20, 2017
- 5 Tips To Choosing Your Marketing Automation Provider - December 16, 2016