The runaway train of cloud adoption seems to be here to stay as businesses are moving entire parts of their infrastructures off-premise. While there’s nothing disturbing about moving everything online, there might be some things best kept offline.
There’s an ongoing debate about whether you should really back stuff up on the cloud or put them into concrete on-premise backups. While some might err on the side of the cloud, there’s no “all-around” argument that supports the need to move onto the cloud in all situations. Here are some situations in which you might want to keep backing up your systems on-site:
- If you have a lot to back up, such as entire system hierarchies and volumes containing terabytes of data, you’d probably be making a foolish move by relying on the cloud. The process of backing up online isn’t problematic. The problem exists when you recover these files. Slower network speeds might cause backups to come back a day or more. It’s just not productive at all.
- On-premise backups are right there next to you and testable on the spot. If you need a rigorous backup solution you’re sure no one can tap into, you’re set with a few extra hard drives to store all that data.
- If you run heavy-duty servers, on-premise backups make virtualization very plausible, ensuring that data disasters remain very short-lived and your customers remain minimally affected.
Don’t get me wrong. Cloud backup is also very essential for business operations that don’t have huge data backup requirements and/or don’t need to restore data so quickly. Examples of such data are spreadsheets, contracts, pictures, video, and any sort of data of this nature that doesn’t need to come back immediately in order for your business to continue running. A sustainable business will always have duplicates of its most important data on-site. To put it into perspective, think of it this way: Any data that your business utilizes for its own continuity within the hour shouldn’t be stored in the cloud if it takes more than an hour to download.
Latest posts by Miguel Leiva-Gomez (see all)
- What is ERP? Does It Have a Place In Small Business? - November 7, 2013
- Small Business IP Phone Services: A Guide To Choosing The Right System For Your Business - September 26, 2013
- 3 Services That Help Add A Face to the Name on Your Contact List - September 23, 2013