It used to be that if you spent most of the day out of the office, you spent the rest of the evening catching up on the emails and projects that were left sitting on your PC or laptop. But now, with the ever increasing world of mobile applications and the ability to work in the ‘Cloud’, productivity doesn’t have to end just because you are not sitting behind your desk.
Ramon Ray, editor of Smallbiztechnology.com, knows all about being on the go and recently wrote an article entitled ‘Road Warrior Productivity: Mobile Apps‘ for Dun & Bradstreet. In the article he outlines ten apps that can help you become more productive while on the road; saving you time and keeping you on track.
Here is an outline of the ten apps Ramon mentions:
- iOnRoad – An Advanced Driving Assistance System (ADAS) app that will quickly become your personal driving assistant. Advanced Collision Warning, Headway Distance Monitoring & Alert and SMS and Notification Narrator are only a few of the great features of this app. This app is only available for android devices as of this writing.
- Top25 – A great app for visiting or navigating around large cities. Get the local weather, city history and top 25 must see points of interest, restaurants and more.
- WalkJogRun – For those who like to get out and walk, jog or run when they travel, you’ll want to download this app. Choose from over 1.5 million running routes worldwide and then let the GPS guide you so you don’t get lost!
- Seamless – Looking for takeout from a local restaurant? Then this is your app! More than 10,000 restaurants in more than 50 cities in the U.S. and U.K, this app lets you read the menu and reviews of nearby restaurants and order via phone or online.
- Evi – Need a travel assistant, or maybe just a little help finding nearby hotels and making reservations? Then Evi may work for you. While it’s not as comprehensive as the infamous ‘Siri’, Evi will answer your voice commands with location-based answers.
- VoiceCal – This app gives you a quick and easy way to update your Google Calendar or ICalendar by speaking the appointments. Click the launch tab, speak your appointment and Voila…it’s added!
- RightSignature – Here’s an app I wish I’d known about last week while I was traveling. This app lets you sign documents that you upload or access via the cloud, saves them and can even send along to others in your organization in a matter of minutes!
- LogMeIn / Ignition – It’s like having your PC in your pocket or briefcase! LogMeIn, for your iPhone or iPad and Ignition, for Android, let you access your PC or other device from your mobile device – giving you instant access to all your files and programs.
- Flightboard – Turn your phone into the airport arrivals /departures board with this app and never sit at the wrong gate again!
- Skyscanner – Looking for the cheapest airfares? This app compares over 1000 airlines to deliver that result. The app will also compare and find the cheapest hotels and car rentals for your next trip.
So if you are looking to stay productive, even when traveling, download a few of these apps and give them a try. Odds are you’ll find at least one that will help you gain back some time or, at least, make your travel a bit more fun and organized.