However, it’s also one of those things we don’t pay enough attention to. Here’s a few tips from Siber Systems, many you probably already know, to help remind you to have GOOD and SECURE passwords:
- Create passwords that are difficult for anyone to guess, including friends, family and hackers. Avoid passwords that relate on a personal level, instead use upper and lower case letters, random symbols, and do not use any word found in the dictionary. One trick is to choose the first letters of each word from a random phrase such as “I like to eat pineapple daily”, to get “iLtEPd”, with the addition of a symbol and number for added measure. Also change passwords every 30 days.
- Do not utilize default passwords such as “1234” that were provided automatically or by system administrators. Using such a password means someone else or a system has a record of the current password, making it unsecure. Change defaults immediately to a memorable and random password.
- Writing down passwords is an especially troublesome habit. Pieces of paper provide others with a simple way to capture and exploit passwords. Use a secure tool to manage various passwords, or take parts of a unique and memorable phrase to create a password.
- Avoid duplication at all costs. Using the same or very similar passwords (Charles10 and Charles17 for example) across multiple logins exposes individuals and entire enterprises to significant risk. Be sure to use different passwords for every login.
- Utilize technology tools to make password management and selection easier. RoboForm (www.roboform.com) securely stores passwords on computers, mobile devices such as iPhones and Android phones, as well as USB drives.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- 3 Reasons Invoicing Apps Are Essential For Fledgling Businesses - November 28, 2016
- Don’t Let Technology Create Blinders On Your Perspective. Every Leader’s Nightmare. - November 27, 2016
- Video Humanizes Your Brand: 3 Tips To Use It For Your Business. - November 4, 2016