When I click on a page, it takes me about 30 seconds until I decide to call it a day and click the “Back” button. Many people behave this way, and many people are annoyed by long load times (and I’m one of the patient ones). Even if I manage to get a page within 10 seconds, those seconds composed a period of time that I will never again be able to relive. A slow-loading web page is like a busy intersection. If people keep encountering congestion somewhere, they’ll try to find a way around it to get where they want faster, even if it means jumping through hoops.
But there are more reasons why your website should be faster:
- Your sales depend on it! If you’re thinking that people will sit there and wait for pages to load just to order a product on your site, you’re wrong. Unless you’re the only person selling a particular product, you’ll lose customers to competitors who have faster service. Amazon loses 1 percent of sales for every 100 ms delay in page load times.
- Your page views depend on it! The faster your site loads, the more pages people will want to visit within it, and the more they’ll stick around to see all your goodies.
- Your stance with Google depends on it! Google analyzes your page load time constantly. It takes this into account to ultimately determine where you fall within search result pages.
- Your customer satisfaction levels depend on it! Happier customers are good buyers. Almost half of online shoppers expect a page to load in two seconds. That’s a short time!
- Your bills depend on it! I’m not kidding. You’ll find that you’ll have reduced costs on bandwidth and storage space if you optimize your site. Optimization also involves size reduction. Smaller pages = less bandwidth/storage.
If you want to optimize your site conveniently without having to deal with huge IT teams, have a look at services like Yottaa and Torbit. Both have extensive amounts of experience in the department of making sites shinier and cleaner. These solutions will help you especially if you don’t have Google’s budget.
Latest posts by Miguel Leiva-Gomez (see all)
- What is ERP? Does It Have a Place In Small Business? - November 7, 2013
- Small Business IP Phone Services: A Guide To Choosing The Right System For Your Business - September 26, 2013
- 3 Services That Help Add A Face to the Name on Your Contact List - September 23, 2013