Sometimes when we read online content – we can tell it’s not written for humans to read. If it’s marketing copy for a law firm – maybe it’s written in confusing legal language not “for humans”. If it’s a retail store, it’s written by the business owner thinking like a fashion retailer instead of thinking about his customers – again “not for humans”.
- Your website’s “About Us” page indicates you believe the “us” includes your customers. The page should be more than long lists of historical bullet points, credentials and products. Read the page from a customer’s perspective. Would he or she consider it help or hype? Customers want to learn how you can help them. They grow tired of companies listing credentials.
- Your blog is fresh: Look at the date of the most recent post on your company’s blog. Is it older than a week? If so, this is what the potential customer sees and thinks: Nothing is happening of interest at this company. Do they still exist?
- Your blog is written by humans for humans: Is your blog filled only with press releases? Unless your blog was created to help you build closer relationships with lawyers and the media, press releases are the wrong content. On a blog, write about your news in terms of how it can help your customers — and not in the voice of a compliance officer.
- Your after-the-sale content equals the quality of your before-the-sale content: The pre-sale product marketing is your promise. The user-manual that accompanies the purchased product is the beginning of your fulfillment of that promise.
- Your how-to content should be easy enough for a CEO to follow: Hand your CEO the company’s latest “some assembly required” product, along with the assembly instructions and the necessary tools. If the CEO can easily assemble it without any help, appoint the creator of the instructions to your company’s content working group.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Vistaprint Report Says Many Consumers Will Shop More Small Businesses in 2018 - October 2, 2017
- Kensington Announces Ultimate Presenter with Virtual Pointer - October 2, 2017
- Zoho Enables Real Time Messaging with Cliq - October 1, 2017