Yesterday I was contacted by a reporter from a major media company, to contribute to a story. (Want to watch some of my advice on social media success? Scroll below to see the video for you)
This is not the first time I’ve been contacted by a journalist online – but most of the time I’m called directly or emailed. But this was the first time I was contacted by “major media” through Twitter. It was pretty exciting.
It got me thinking – why did this happen?
- You must be frequent on social media. Just posting to Google Plus is not enough.
- You must be relevant. Do you think that people give a darn about your cat or your kids? No. Tweet about what YOUR AUDIENCE is interested in.
- You must be engaging. “Social” media is all about social, all about sharing with others. People share what’s interesting to them.
- You must measure. You must measure what you do on social media so you know what works and what does not work. Maybe Facebook is not for you? Maybe it’s Google Plus. Maybe Twitter is indeed better for you, instead of LinkedIn. You won’t know this unless you measure what you are doing.
A bit more about measurement: Below is a screen shot of Dlvr.it a social media management tool we use to post on social media abut also to MEASURE what posts are most engaging and what networks are most active. You can also use the measurement tools of Facebook (Facebook.com/insights) and the emerging analtyics tools of the other social networks to see what posts are gaining traction – or not.
Interested in Facebook marketing? Do read my best seller, “The Facebook Guide to Small Business Marketing”
Finally, remember that social media alone is NOT enough. You must ensure your DRIVE your social media traffic to something that can lead to a sale or at least lead to further marketing to interesting prospective customers or to get your current customers to buy more. This is where CRM comes in. There’s a lot of great CRM tools on the market – one of the best for marketing campaigns is Infusionsoft (my employer).
Gary Vaynerchuck is famous for saying “what’s the ROI of your mother” to clients who ask him over and over again if social media is really that important and how to measure the ROI. He’s right – in a way. But when you add CRM to social media – the ROI and knowing what works is much more clear!
Watch the video I did for you about social media success and the reporter contacting me below. (Doesn’t work – go here here – http://youtu.be/fWIL-rtXvCQ )
Facebook for Business (with a Twist of social media 101) presentation
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- Zoho’s Innovation Continues to Help Small Business Start and Scale - February 16, 2018
- How To Use CRM to Create Positive Customer Experiences - February 16, 2018
- Heartwarming Small Business Movie from Intuit Celebrates Small Biz Success - February 2, 2018