Papers are everywhere. My desk is full of them, and you probably also have your share of papers sprawled all over the place on a busy day. There’s just so much to do that sometimes you don’t find the time to file them neatly into categorized indexes. Tracking expenses and receipts is probably the most vital function of your business as far as accounting is concerned and, is often the one that requires the most paper.
The paper sheet is an invention that goes back thousands of years. Traditionally, we’ve been writing on papers to keep track of things (and immortalize our words). We’ve been stuck with what we can now call a “wonderful burden” for quite a long time! Now, it’s time to move on from that into the paperless 21st century.
Inventing digital electronics has led us into an era where we can now read the written word on a screen and change those words as we wish. Yet, we still somehow have the inability to transfer some of this technology into the accounting departments of most businesses. It’s disappointing that, while we can replace even the most minute written data with digital equivalents, we seem to choke when it comes to doing it with receipts. Of course, there are technologies that can help you get around this:
- Expensify – Who needs a portable scanner when your phone can do everything? Expensify is a mobile app that lets you scan mobile receipts. It has all the features you need to do all of your accounting without flipping a single sheet, including scanning receipts from a picture you take on your smartphone. The text will be automatically extrapolated. This app is free to use, so give it a try!
- Concur – If you’re a frequent flyer, you could certainly use a mobile app that does everything Expensify does, but also lets you book flights. Concur lets you manage travel expenses, book travel, and manage your day-to-day business accounting. At $8 per user per month for the small business package, and a free trial to boot, it’s worth a try!
- NeatCloud – What could possibly be wrong with putting your expenses and other documents on the cloud? This is what NeatCloud does, and more. According to the creators, NeatCloud is a “digital filing system,” which means that you can also gather contacts and documents. This digital filing system also recognizes the text in receipts from a picture you take in your smartphone. In other words, you can throw away a receipt right after you scanned it and stored it in the cloud. Their popular “Home & Office” offer costs $14.99 a month and includes all the features mentioned above for two users. You can also get a business plan for $24.99 a month that includes five users.
If you’re tired of using pieces of dead bark to keep your business running, it’s time you threw away the tree pile and dived into silicon!
Latest posts by Miguel Leiva-Gomez (see all)
- What is ERP? Does It Have a Place In Small Business? - November 7, 2013
- Small Business IP Phone Services: A Guide To Choosing The Right System For Your Business - September 26, 2013
- 3 Services That Help Add A Face to the Name on Your Contact List - September 23, 2013