Most offices today are highly digitized spaces. Wireless printing, smartphone applications for remote file access and cloud computing are just some of the examples. But every now and then it is important to just step back and evaluate the fundamentals of managing your office.
One principle of efficient office management is having a reliable document storage process. Look around your office space-
- Are you storing documents that you no longer have use for?
- Do you take longer than you should in locating important documents?
- Are boxes and cabinets taking up much needed office space?
Having an office overloaded with paperwork adds no value to the business or to its employees. Instead of losing valuable office space to paperwork, you might want to consider moving old documents to an offsite storage location.
An offsite storage system can help reduce the day-to-day administrative hassles of running a growing business. There are other benefits too.
1.Lower operating costs: A lot of businesses still need to ensure that they have adequate paper records for regulatory and legal purposes. Overtime the paperwork can really pile up. As per Laurie Shader Smith, vice president of Personal Mini Storage, a self storage company in Florida established in 1982, an offsite storage can lower rental costs for a business by as much as 60%.
2.Save time: Spend lesser time finding the information you really want. Most storage companies can help you implement a barcode filing system so that the staff does not waste valuable time looking for files.
3.Improved security: With documents being regularly listed and shipped to an offsite storage location there are less chances of files being misplaced. But more importantly, stored files can only be accessed at the offsite storage location by authorized personnel, making it a safer way to keep customer records and other business documents.
4. Reduce risk of damage: Storing documents at an offsite location is a better disaster management strategy than keeping everything in one place. Also storage management companies take additional safety measures such as appropriate storage containers, regular pest-control, a fire-safety system and insurance cover which makes offsite storage a much safer option than the office.
5. Improved productivity: The space freed from removing filing cabinets and boxes onsite, can instead be used to value-add to business such as another sales desk or a customer service counter. Also an improved office environment is bound to have a positive impact on employee performance.
Before you hire the services of an offsite document storage company, be sure to compare the charges across vendors in your area since prices can vary considerably. Also in the storage industry, national players may not necessarily offer the best prices. Watch out for other hidden charges such as fuel surcharge and minimum order charges.
As part of the overall cleaning drive, Laurie also recommends purging old office equipment. Get rid of any office supplies that haven’t been used in the past year- an office printer, a broken down coffee machine or languishing office chairs.
Has you business utilized the services of an offsite storage company? Do share your experience in the comments box below for the benefit of other readers.