Customer satisfaction is everything in business. But understanding what customer’s want and how they would react to any changes in pricing, product, promotion and packaging (Phillip Kotler’s 4 P’s of marketing), can be unnerving for any new business owner.Traditional survey methodologies like customer-interviews or panel discussions can be time-consuming and expensive. And while social media is a great platform for engaging with customers, it may not give the specific insights needed to make a business decision.
On the other hand, surveys embedded on your website are an affordable, prompt way to collate views from existing and potential customers. Website visitor surveys can be used by growing businesses to:
- Collect information on website usability, content and design. While website analytics is great for understanding origination of website traffic and on-site visitor preferences, website survey can help you really understand who is visiting, why like your website and what they would like to change.
- Gather customer feedback on new product launches, seasonal promotions and overall customer satisfaction. Although the one disadvantage of using website surveys for broader purposes is that you have a restricted audience (visitors to your website). As you expand your business, you can always supplement website surveys with other collection methods such as emails, telephonic interviews and panel discussions.
A website visitor survey offers the following benefits:
- You capture feedback from target customers. People visiting your website are either already buying from you or at least have an inclination to do so. For content driven portals like Small Business Technology, it’s a tool for gathering feedback from readers on what we are doing right and what we need to better.
- Feedback is gathered real-time. Users are asked to submit their feedback at a point of time when they are actually exploring information on your business.
- Website surveys are less time-consuming and more cost-effective. Survey tools like Google Consumer survey are conducted over short duration and provide visually analyzed results, at affordable rates.
- Since website surveys are easy to design and execute, questions can be easily modified to meet business requirements.
Tips on Creating an Effective Website Visitor Survey
Website visitor surveys may be perceived as irritants to the surfing experience. This is often due to surveys being enforced or too lengthy and complex. The online audience is unlikely to spare more than a few minutes to give feedback and therefore website visitor surveys are most effective when designed with a singular objective. Here are some tips on designing website visitor surveys :
- Pick one topic for feedback. Keeping it simple will help your audience understand the intent in the least possible time.
- Word questions in clear, straight forward language.
- Restrict the number of questions to under 10; don’t be afraid to keep it under 5 if it serves your purpose
- Restricting access to content on your website conditional to a survey response could be counter-productive. Give visitors the freedom to respond to the survey if and when they like. A good time to solicit feedback would be a few minutes into the website surfing experience.
- Promote your survey through social media accounts (and email marketing if you have an ongoing campaign)
- Use it as an opportunity to show your visitors that their opinion matters. Share the findings and proposed steps basis the feedback received.
There are a number of tools available to create website surveys. A few include:
- Google Website Satisfaction Survey: This free service can be used to ask 4 questions from visitors for up to 500 responses over 30 days. The results are analyzed and shared by Google in a downloadable report format with data visualization. You can customize the questionnaire for 1¢ per response or $5.00 for 500 responses.
- Survey Pie: The free plan is suitable for businesses looking for short-term website visitor surveys. For long-term and repeat online surveys the paid plan starts at $ 29.9 per month.
Visitor website surveys offer smaller businesses the unique opportunity to seek out valuable qualitative inputs on the effectiveness of their websites as well as other facets of their business. However these surveys must be implemented without impeding the website-user experience. Also, sharing key takeaways from the survey with the audience can help establish credibility with site visitors.
Latest posts by Rhea Gaur (see all)
- 3 Apps for Designing Mobile Friendly Email Campaigns - October 8, 2013
- Two Apps That Make Syncing Contacts To Your Mobile Device a Breeze - October 4, 2013
- Are Business Plans Relevant in Today’s Dynamic Market Conditions? - October 1, 2013