(SXSW coverage sponsored by Infusionsoft – all in one sales and marketing CRM software for small business)
- Produce content with intent – not just for the sake of producing content. Make sure your readers want it (not just you) and that it serves a business purpose.
- Measure the results (content analytics) of your content such as referral traffic, what converts the most and other key performance indicators that are of importance to your business.
- Respect the different media. What looks good on Facebook might not look so great on Instagram. Publish content for specific media.
- Great copy and headlines gets more click through and viewer recall than banner advertising. Outbrain did a test of a NY Times web site. After folks read the web site they asked a question about one of the featured banner ads on the web site. No one could recall it, but people did recall the sponsored content.
- For retailers, all of your content should support your sales and lead to some call to action for the reader.
- Birchbox ensures it’s content is very authentic. It has it’s own staff members test products, use products and genuinely share their stories about a product. One popular video is a staff member asking the audience if she should cut her hair, color her hair or get bangs.