The cloud based data storage website Dropbox is a great way to manage your business information. Dropbox allows you to share large files with clients and employees without losing control of data, keep your team updated on what’s happening, track progress of assigned projects and tasks, auto-back up important files, encrypt information and much more, all without having to invest in an IT infrastructure. Best of all, Dropbox is affordable and easy to use.
Here are 10 tips for storing, organizing, sharing, and securing your business data with Dropbox.
1. Additional free storage space – For every friend you refer to Dropbox, who joins and installs Dropbox on their computer, Dropbox gives you 500 MB of bonus space. Get up to 16 GB of free space by inviting friends and colleagues.
2. Remote file access – Forgot to save a file on your Dropbox account? Download Spotdox to remotely access files on your computer and save them to your Dropbox account.
3. Save email attachments – Received your bank statement on email? To save the attachment to your Dropbox account, sign up at ‘Send to Dropbox’ and email the file to your personalized Dropbox email address. The emailed attachment is stored on your Dropbox account under folder Apps > Attachments
4. Jot down ideas on the go – Write and save your notes on the web based distraction-free text editor Writebox. Then sync the text files to your Dropbox account.
5. Save audio messages – iTunes app Dropvox allows you to record and save audio messages directly to your Dropbox. This app is designed for both iPhone and iPad and can be downloaded for $2.49
6. Send and receive faxes– Use HelloFax to receive and send online faxes using your Dropbox account. The app has a cool feature of creating your signature online and inserting it on documents faxed. The home office plan allows 300 faxes (for 5 users) at just $9.99/mo.
7. Sort data into folders – SortMyBox moves Dropbox files to folders based on rules defined by you. For example, move all files with extension jpg, png, gif to photos folder.
8. Encrypt files – Enjoy the benefits of Dropbox without compromising the safety of your business data. Two apps that you can use to encrypt files stored on Dropbox are www.safemonk.com and www.boxcryptor.com.
9. Automate file saving – Use IFTT (the acronym stands for ‘If This, Then That’) to automate triggers for saving your data. You can choose from nearly a 1000 ‘recipes’ where each recipe connotes an action. Examples are – ‘Save my iOS photos to Dropbox; ‘Save email attachments to Dropbox or ‘Record and upload voicemail to Dropbox. Simply enable each recipe to get started.
10. Back up Dropbox files – Once your team starts collaborating with Dropbox, you will soon have a lot of business data stored there. Seamlessly back up your Dropbox data at Mover. Use Mover to add another layer of data storage, or free up space on Dropbox for collaborating with your team.
There you have it, my ten favorite tips to do more with your Dropbox account. Which are your favorite Dropbox features and apps?
Latest posts by Carolyn Crummey (see all)
- Twitter Buy Button and New Page Features a Boost to Online Businesses - August 3, 2015
- Join the #HPProductivity Chat For Ways to Improve Office Productivity - July 16, 2015
- Amazon Free Shipping on Small Items Might Hurt Local Retailers - June 29, 2015