How many passwords do you have? If you’re like most business owners, the answer is “too many.” In the course of a month, the average individual visits over 25 different password-protected websites. That’s a lot of information to remember.
To make it simpler, some people use the same password for multiple sites; in fact, 65% of people use the same password everywhere. However, the practice of using the same password across many sites makes your business vulnerable. 90% of employee passwords can be cracked within six hours. When you’re using the same password that means that one simple crack unleashes ALL of your important information to hackers.
The solution is to use secure passwords that are virtually impossible to crack – long passwords consisting of upper case, lower case, numbers, and special characters. Many websites even require users to create secure passwords like this.
The catch 22 is that while secure passwords are a must, they’re also impossible to remember. If you’re creating different, 10+ character passwords for each app, that’s the equivalent of 250 random letters, which is nearly impossible to remember.
If only there was a better way to remember strong passwords. Meldium is a password manager from LogMeIn with single sign on that helps businesses access web apps quickly and securely. How does it work and is it a good option for business owners? We recently reviewed the product and here’s what we found.
The Ins and Outs of Meldium
Meldium provides automatic login from every major browser with extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, and Safari or with apps on iOS and Android. You can instantly access password-protected websites and apps without typing or remembering a username and password. Here’s a little tour of the basics.
Meldium offers a 14 day free trial subscription that includes all the ‘Pro’ features to those looking to try the service. They offer a free plan that allows you to add up to five users and includes the basic features.
Their paid plans start at $29/month for the Basic, which includes unlimited apps and 20 users. The Premium plan is $79/mo for 100 users and the Professional plan is $199/mo for 250 users. Each plan offers a discount if you choose to pay annually.
From the smallest of organizations to the larger enterprises, Meldium has a plan that fits everyone.
The Launchpad, or dashboard, is where you land once you log in and is the place where you’ll access all your websites and apps. Adding existing websites and passwords is easy:
- Click on +Add an Application.
- Scroll through the HUGE list of applications and websites – 2018 and counting.
- Choose your application, enter the username and password, then click add.
- Continue to add all your accounts.
All apps that you add will now appear on your Launchpad. The next time you need access, simply click on the icon for instant access.
The Manage section of Meldium allows admins and business owners to manage your apps, groups, users, events and settings.
- Managing Apps: From one screen you can view and manage all your Apps, including:[checklist]
- Launching the app
- Editing the password
- Editing the app settings including App name, login credentials and organization it’s assigned to
- Deleting the application
- Managing Organizations: For each organization you can manage all components including:
- Creating groups of users within the organization and assigning applications
- Quickly and easily onboard new employees
- Invite users to the organization by email
- Manage existing users access and permission levels
- See all members of the organization
- Managing Team Services: The team services management screen allows you to quickly add new services that specific teams within your organization will use. You can also update credentials and allow Meldium to monitor the service for new data to facilitate accurate user lists.
- Managing Events: Wondering who’s doing what? The event management screen will show you all activity by user during time periods you can specify.
- Managing Settings: The settings screen allows you to manage your Meldium account information, change your plan and set security specific security settings. You can also export data and delete any existing organizations.
One Click Access
Meldium offers an extension that allows you one-click access to all the apps you’ve added to your Launchpad. There are extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, Safari, iOS, and Android.
When you add the extension, a Meldium icon will appear on your menu bar (see image below). Clicking the symbol will bring up a list of your apps – then just click the one you want in order to log in.
Safe and Controllable Access to Your Accounts for Team Members
One of the major features, and in my opinion one of the most valuable, is the ability to share account access with team members that is controllable and secure.
When you share access to an application with a team member, they are sent an invitation that allows them instant access. What’s so wonderful about it is that while they have access to the account, they do not have the ability to see the actual password that accesses that account.
Additionally, you can control access from your management screen, including adding or revoking access. This makes the onboarding of new team members and the management of exiting team members super easy. No longer do you need to worry about spending countless hours getting someone all the account information and logins they need to get started. And no longer do you need to worry about team members that have left having access to your accounts. It’s all managed with just a few clicks through Meldium – keeping your accounts safe and secure.
Why Meldium is Right for Your Business
When it comes to evaluating technology for business, I typically look at three major factors:
- Will it save time?
- Is it easy, user friendly, and easy to manage?
- Does it make my business better?
In my opinion, Meldium receives a solid ‘YES’ on each of these factors.
It’s a definite time saver (and stress reducer) for anyone who is trying to manage multiple logins to multiple applications and programs. Meldium user, David Petersen – founder of BuildZoom, says, “One of the biggest stressors used to be keeping track of 50 passwords. Every site has different requirements: Numbers, upper case letters, lower case, punctuation, no punctuation – it caused me serious stress. I couldn’t get into my accounts and then I started using Meldium.”
The one-click access feature is pure genius. Additionally, the ability to quickly add and manage users is ideal for anyone with a team.
I found Meldium to be incredibly user friendly. It has a basic, yet powerful, design and after a little exploration I was navigating with ease. Menus are clear cut and directions appear on pages to help guide and instruct. If those aren’t enough, there is also an extensive help center and an email contact for support.
Whether or not it will make your business better can be somewhat subjective. But, given the fact that more and more small businesses are becoming victims of today’s sophisticated hackers, there is no doubt that increased password protection is the first of many steps to help safeguard your business. It’s the deadbolt on the door of your business. Coupling this with other solid security measures will increase your chances of avoiding costly security breaches.
Overall, Meldium is a solid password management program and security measure for small business. Because LogMeIn offers plans to fit every size organization and budget, Meldium should be a staple in the technology arsenal of every small business.
Latest posts by Ramon Ray (see all)
- 3 Reasons Invoicing Apps Are Essential For Fledgling Businesses - November 28, 2016
- Don’t Let Technology Create Blinders On Your Perspective. Every Leader’s Nightmare. - November 27, 2016
- Video Humanizes Your Brand: 3 Tips To Use It For Your Business. - November 4, 2016