They may not wear a cape or have incredible superpowers, but each and every one of us has heroes in our lives – people who have inspired us through their brave actions, heartfelt deeds, and powerful impact on the world. It’s officially time to celebrate these unsung, everyday heroes, as CNN rolls out the nominations for the 2016 CNN Heroes contest.
CNN Heroes is a contest where you are encouraged to nominate your own heroes – neighbors, friends, colleagues, parents and community members that have touched your life and your community. By taking a few minutes to share their story, you give them a chance to be selected for worldwide recognition on CNN.
Past winners include:
- Tawanda Jones, who runs a drill team in the violent city of Camden New Jersey to inspire children and teach them about discipline.
- Robin Emmons, who helped community members from low-income neighborhoods to get better access to healthy, fresh food.
- Dale Beatty, who runs an organization to build and modify homes for injured veterans.
By now, you probably have your own hero in mind. Here’s how you go about nominating them.
- All nominations must be submitted through this nomination page.
- Your nominee must be a single individual who is at least 13 years old and whose accomplishments occurred (or continued) on or after November 1, 2015.
- The main questions are “Tell us about your nominee and what is special about his/her work” and “Accomplishments and Impact: How is his/her work making a difference?”
- Think very carefully about these questions and provide the strongest answers. CNN will get a high volume of nominations – yours needs to stand out!
- The nomination form also includes contact details for you and your nominee.
- Although it is optional, you can also include links to back up your nomination – articles, websites, social media, etc.
- You can learn more and find FAQs here.
Nominations will be accepted until September 5, 2016. Winners will be announced in a special global broadcast in October 2016 – “CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute.”
Heroes in our own lives are changing the world each and every day. Give your hero the recognition they deserve by nominating them as one of the 2016 CNN Heroes.